Thursday, April 12, 2012

March Showers Bring April Flowers...

It might not have the same ring as the traditional saying, but with the warm winter spring has come early in West Virginia.  I love seeing the changes each day as trees grow more leaves and the beautiful flowers begin to bloom with all of their vibrant colors.  It has been quite some time (like 15 years) since I have studied types of trees, plants, and flowers.  So last week I decided to take my camera as I went for a walk around my neighborhood and take pictures of my favorite spring flowers.  (See pictures on the Flowers in Huntington page.)  It took me back to my middle school days of collecting leaves from different trees and making scrapbooks with them.  Technology has evolved a bit since then, so I am going to use this blog as my "digital scrapbook" to document what I discover, learn, find interesting, or just like about Forestry (and plants in general) and the Railroad of West Virginia.

When this Forestry & Rail class began I was mostly looking forward to learning about the railroad side of things.  But after Steve Beckelhimer taught his lesson on finding the "board feet" of a tree, I realized how applicable forestry would be in my classroom.  I have a few lesson ideas of my own coming together...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your interesting post. I will look forward to seeing the photos that you are taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of them are on my "Flowers in Huntington" page. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping up with the blog, Bethany. I really think it can be useful as a classroom tool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have posted some flowers, trees, etc. on my tabs too. I love how this trip has brought back memories of your middle school days too. I can remember my teachers taking us on nature walks to collect leaves. Good memories and I cant wait to make some memories this summer.

    ReplyDelete